Croxley Mill was built by John Dickinson and first made paper in 1830. It was Mill No 693 in the Excise List. It was the main centre for making paper from the 1880’s, had a specialised plant for converting esparto grass to pulp. From 1898 it had its own internal railway connected to the main lines for deliveries of coal. It was closed by the Dickinson Robinson Group in December 1980.